Friday, December 26, 2008

Spaghetti Carbonara

This is a busy time of year under the most normal of circumstances. But with a newborn in the house, my time is more than limited. So my go-to meal lately has been Spaghetti Carbonara...it's quick, easy, healthy, filling, I always have all of the ingredients on hand, and my children eat it like it's going out of style.

The recipe shown below feeds four and is from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food, my source of many, many meals. I've made a few changes for my children and myself seeing as we're vegetarians...I omit the bacon and add broccoli, cauliflower or asparagus (whatever we have at the time). I also usually use whole milk which I keep stocked for our daily steel-cut oats.

Ingredients
  • 1 pound spaghetti
  • 8 ounces (8 slices) bacon, cut 1 inch thick crosswise
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
  • 1/2 cup half-and-half
Directions
  1. Set a large pot of water to boil (for pasta). In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 8 to 12 minutes; transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
  2. Salt boiling water generously; add pasta and cook until al dente, according to package instructions.
  3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together eggs, Parmesan, and half-and-half. Set aside.
  4. Drain pasta, leaving some water clinging to it. Working quickly, add hot pasta to egg mixture (heat from pasta will cook the eggs). Add bacon; season with salt and pepper, and toss all to combine. Serve immediately, sprinkled with additional Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment