Saturday, May 2, 2009

Swine Flu

We're parents, so we worry, it's just part of the job. But all of this swine flu news and hype is getting to be too much for me. I'm now receiving emails from friends that are forwards and full of worry, so I thought I'd put it in perspective for you, from the facts I've read.

It is estimated that each year in the United States the common flu affects an estimated 10 to 20% of the population...and an average of 114,000 people are hospitalized for flu-related complications. Approximately 20,000 Americans die from the flu each year!

There are now a reported 143 cases of Swine Flu and one Swine Flu death in the United States. Although there have been 46 deaths due to the common flu in the same week...that was the last statistic I read on Thursday morning...it may be higher by now.

I'm not wanting to have you take your children's health any less seriously, I just want to put all of the hype into perspective and ease your worry. Just continue on as usual...wash your hands, wash your kid's hands, stay home when sick, don't visit others when they are sick, and you should be just fine. As our wise friends in the United Kingdom said, Keep Calm and Carry On.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for that. I think as new moms and wise mom, we just cant help it. Being seeped with media reports, your natural instinct is to protect your children. But bottom line is common sense and good hygiene and just plain calm. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete