Sunday, August 2, 2009

Macaroni & Cheese Recipe

I'm yet to meet a child (or adult) who doesn't LOVE the macaroni and cheese at Noodles & Company. Although everyone in my favmily orders something different (I'm partial to the Penne Rosa), each one of us likes to sneak a bite of my daughter Martha's order of mac and cheese before we leave. Knowing that one day she's sure to stop us, I thought I had better find a recipe to make this yummy, no fuss meal at home. Not to mention the money I'll save! And good news, I'm on my way!

The recipe below is a tweeked version of a few different ones I found online all put together. My children say it tastes just like the Noodle's version, although I'll admit I'm stil not 100% satisfied...I still feel like something is missing. I think it's the texture this perfectionist is hung up on (I think the sauce may be a bit too thick and next time I'll try upping the half and half). So, if you try it and figure something else out, please don't hold back on us...email me or write a comment to share (and if my half and half theory proves true I'll repost)!

Otherwise, this is still a darn good recipe. It must be because after my son tried this for the first time he looked at me across the table and said, "Mommy, I think you're the best cook in the whole world." How amazingly sweet!

Ingredients

1 lb. elbow noodles
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
3 cups half and half
1/2 tsp salt
3 Cups Monterrey Jack (or Colby Jack...or mix them together)

Directions
  1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
  2. In large saucepan over medium/low heat, melt butter. Stir in flour making a roux. Gradually stir in half and half whisking until thickened. Stir in salt. Switch heat to low and add cheese, stirring constantly until cheese melts. Remove from heat and add your cooked pasta. Stir together and top with fancy shredded mild cheddar cheese if you want, although I don't think it's necesssary.
  3. If you want a more grown up taste for you own, add some garlic powder or crushed red pepper (that's how my son and I eat it), top with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese, or do all three and then bake it at 350 until the top browns.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about Noodles mac & cheese. I will definitely have to try this one! My sister put together a pretty decent version of the pasta fresca... let me know if you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to try the recipe and will post it as well if you want to email it to me at uggamugga@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete