Friday, December 18, 2009

Mac and Cheese Muffins

My children have a subscription to Highlights High Five magazine. An issue arrived today and inside Martha spotted a recipe for Mac and Cheese Muffins and asked if we could make them for lunch. Because I had everything on hand, I agreed.

They were super easy to make...little time and limited mess. And they were eaten with no complaining...always a plus! I even have some left over to freeze and reheat on a day I don't have a lot of time to cook...could be tomorrow!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 pound elbow pasta
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 cup grated cheese (I used a cheddar blend)
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1/3 cup bread crumbs
Directions:
  1. Add pasta to a large pot of salted boiling water and cook until almost tender (about 8 minutes). Drain and set aside.
  2. Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Sprinkle in the flour. Whisk for 2 minutes. Slowly add the milk and whisk for 4-5 minutes...until it is thick enough to coat the spoon. Add the cheese and stir until the sauce is smooth. Add salt and pepper.
  3. Add the macaroni and bread crumbs to the sauce.
  4. Spoon the mixture into muffin cups and bake in a preheated 350° oven for 8 minutes.
I added some Parmesan cheese to the tops of mine to make the tops golden. And although I used muffin liners because the kids had their hearts set on them, I'd probably make some without next time because the crunchy parts are my favorite. Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment