Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Smiling Contest

We all know that being a parent is the most important job on Earth! But I was thinking this morning as baby Hazel and I were having a smiling contest, about how she learned to smile...how we all did. It was from our parents smiling at us while they held us in their arms. Everything we learned as children came from our parents...just as all our children are learning is from us.

We not only shape their worlds and lives, but also the lives of everyone they come into contact with. When I see my son August hold doors open for women at the post office and my daughter Martha inspiring smiles as she dances when we're grocery shopping, I swell with pride knowing they're making the days of those they come into contact with a bit brighter. I truly believe that the more thoughtful and hands-on parents there are in the world, the better a place it will be!

So smile at your children...they're watching. The whole world is watching!

That's my thought for the day...

* - The Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) Context Camera (CTX) captured the photo shown here of a crater resembling a “Happy Face” on Jan 28, 2008. The unnamed crater is about 3 kilometers across. Pretty cool.

1 comment:

  1. As I've heard it said, "not only are you raising your children, but you're raising your grandchildren, as well." Great post today, Shannon, love thought provoking ones like this. Hope you had a beautiful Easter!! Alexandra

    ReplyDelete