Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11

I just got back from walking my son to school. It's a walk I'll always remember...the day I explained to him what 9/11 is.

My husband and I have been sheltering our children thus far on the details. All he knows of the day is that we make art projects to send to the fire houses who love the most lives that tragic day. But today, he learned more details about the number of lives lost and why our national security is so very important.

I explained why the flags were flying at half mast and why our neighborhood was decked out in red, white and blue. I cried as I reminded him, and myself, of the 3,000 families mourning the loss of their loved ones who were killed eight years ago.

And then I kissed him goodbye (I'm sneaking in as many as I can before he catches on that it's not cool, even in kindergarten).

On the way home my daughter decided to make up a game: her goal was not to step on cracks. I wonder how in the world each child makes up that game. I then taught her the age-appropriate lesson of, "step on a crack, you break your mother's back." We laughed as I said "ouch" each time she purposely stepped on a crack.

Yes, I'll always remember this morning's walk to school. Along with those who lost their lives eight years ago today. Never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment