Friday, June 11, 2010

Summer Ideas

My son's last day of kindergarten was yesterday so summer has officially begun. First thing this morning, my two oldest children, August and Martha, were arguing. Over nothing. And they just wouldn't stay away from each other and call a truce. And so my wheels started turning and I knew I had to come up with a solution. We needed to switch gears

I took out a piece of paper and some markers and they stopped fighting to watch me. I started writing fancy, curly letters on the top which really got my daughter's attention...and my son read the title aloud, "Summer Play." They were officially intrigued.

We spent the next 30 minutes coming up with a summer Bucket List, if you will. So far we know our summer will consist of the following:
  • Have a picnic
  • Go out for ice cream
  • Fly kites
  • Go to the pool
  • Camp outside in a tent
  • Go to the beach
  • Pick blueberries
  • Take photos with a huge group of balloons
  • Go to Menominee Park in Oshkosh
  • Take a vacation
  • Ride Lake Express to Michigan
  • Catch fireflies (and set them free)
  • Set off fireworks
  • Take a family walk
  • Go mini-golfing
  • Visit a driving range
  • Go to Bay Beach
  • Go fishing
  • Paint rocks and sticks
  • Make tie-dye shirts
Next time your children are bickering...I suggest making your Summer Play list! Our day has been smooth sailing ever since. (*Although it's only 9:21 a.m. as I write this.)

What will be on your family's summer list? Share your ideas in the comment section!

* - It's now 9:33 a.m. and my son is already telling his sisters, "Leave me alone." At least there was 12 minutes of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment