Tuesday, October 5, 2010

DIY Crayons

I've been trying to do some fall cleaning the past few weeks and have been getting creative with putting it off. This project is one such way. I noticed my kid's crayons were mostly broken so we made them into new, multi-colored crayons with the help of a mini muffin tin I never use and the oven. Here's how:
  1. Remove all of the wrappers from crayons (my kids loved doing this part) and break them into small pieces.
  2. Preheat your over to 200 degrees.
  3. Place your crayon bits into a muffin tin or other heat-proof mold. Fun candy molds in different shapes would be great!
  4. Place the tray into the oven and watch the crayons melt and swirl together. The whole process takes about 10-15 minutes.
  5. Remove them from the oven and let them cool until completely hard. I put ours in the fridge because the kids were excited to use them...they cooled in about 45 minutes.
  6. Draw to your heart's content.
One improvement I'd make next time I try melting crayons would be to sort them into different colors...put the red and orange together, the yellow and green, the blue and purple, and so on. Just an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment