Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Leakey Collection

Every holiday, my husband takes our children to a shop in town that carries all natural, handmade, and fair trade products and lets them pick things out for me. I usually receive a piece of jewelry or small trinket and a paper flower to add to my growing bouquet. Some of my favorite pieces of jewelry Martha has picked out for me have been from The Leakey Collection.

The Leakey Collection is a fair trade company that designs and manufactures hand-made jewelry and decor products. Each piece is handcrafted by Maasai women and men in Kenya. The pieces I have are from their Zulugrass collection.

This environmentally sustainable harvested grass is cut by hand into beads and then dyed using textile dyes. Each small bead is a deep vibrant earthy color that is perfect for layering. I love wearing a group of necklaces together or wrapping one or two a few times around my wrist as a bracelet.

The Leakey Collection is available online at leakeycollection.com and in many brick and mortar stores in over 20 countries worldwide. In addition to their Zulugrass collection there are wood and glass pieces as well. Visit their website to see them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment