If you want to give them a try, the recipe is below. The only things I'll mention is that I got 12 full-size cups and 12 miniature cups from the bag of chocolate chips so I made 1.5 batches of the peanut butter filling. And to ensure smooth layers, I jiggled the pans back and forth to distribute the chocolate and peanut butter evenly. Other than that, I made them per the recipe.
- 12+ cupcake paper cups
- 12 oz. bag of chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cut the top half off of the muffin cups so that they are shallower.
- Pour the chocolate chips into a glass bowl and melt them in the microwave: microwave at 50% power for 2 minutes. Stir the chips gently, and let them sit for a minute or so. If the chocolate needs more melting, microwave again at half power for 30 seconds. Stir gently. Continue the process, stirring gently as you go. But be very careful not to overcook the chocolate.
- Using a spoon, place a portion of the chocolate into the middle of a muffin cup. Draw the chocolate up the edges of the cup with the back of the spoon. Coat the entire inside of the muffin cup with chocolate and place it into a muffin tin. Repeat with the remaining muffin cups and then put the whole muffin tin in the fridge so that the chocolate hardens.
- Combine the peanut butter, powdered sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
- When the chocolate in the muffin cups has hardened, pop the sweetened peanut butter into the microwave on full power for 1 minute. This will soften up the peanut butter so that it easily flows into the cups.
- Spoon a small portion of peanut butter into each of the chocolate-coated cups. Leave room at the top for an additional layer of chocolate, which we'll add later. Pop the trays back in the refrigerator to harden the peanut butter. This should take an hour or so.
- When the peanut butter filling has hardened, re-melt the chocolate chips in the microwave on half power for 30 to 60 seconds. Use a spoon to spread a layer of chocolate over the top of each candy. Chill the candy once again to set up the chocolate.