Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Mamas, Get in the Pictures!

My mother gifted me with a framed photo of me holding Hazel on the day she was born almost four years ago.  I remember when she gave it to me I said, "Hazel looks adorable, but look at my hair."  My wise mother said, "I promise you that in time, you won't even notice it, you'll just look at the photo and relive that special moment."  Boy, was she right...about that and a million other things!

If you read nothing else today, this week/month/remainder of 2012, please read this, an amazing article by Allison Tate that was published on Huffington Post yesterday titled The Mom Stays in the Picture

In this thoughtful piece, Ms. Tate discusses a moment her son asked her to take a photo with him...and her hesitation due to her less than perfect makeup/hair/clothes/baby weight.  We can all relate...I know I can.  But she goes on to explain why it's important to be in the photos: so your children can see how you look at them, see all that you do for them, and know you were there for it all.  

Here's a small excerpt...the part in which I started to tear up:  "People, including my children, don't see the way I make sure my kids' favorite stuffed animals are on their beds at night. They don't know how I walk the grocery store aisles looking for treats that will thrill them for a special day. They don't know that I saved their side-snap, paper-thin baby shirts from the hospital where they were born or their little hospital bracelets in keepsake boxes high on the top shelves of their closets. They don't see me tossing and turning in bed wondering if I am doing an okay job as a mother, if they are okay in their schools, where we should take them for a vacation, what we should do for their birthdays."

You can read this touching article in full at huffingtonpost.com.  And then call your mom or look at beautiful photos of her...and get in some photos of your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment