Friday, January 11, 2013

Natural Cold/Flu Fighters


Over the years I have learned a few homemade cold and flu fighters.  Today, when a friend emailed me for a recipe, I realized I had never shared them here.  My husband teases me about the jars of potions in our pantry...until he needs them, that is.

First up is a remedy for adults (perhaps a child-friendly one could be made with less cayanne).  This powerful mixture is great for coughs, stubborn congestion and sore throats.  It is best used when you first feel something settling in.  I quadruple the recipe to last the winter and keep a jar in our pantry.  The ingredients seem strange, but taste surprisingly good. 

Cough Remedy
  • ¼ teaspoon Cayenne
  • ¼ teaspoon Ginger (ground)
  • 1 Tablespoon Cider Vinegar (Bragg’s is preferred.)
  • 1 Tablespoon Honey 
  • 2 Tablespoon Water
Directions
  • Combine in a jar.  When needed, shake the jar to combine and take one tablespoon, twice daily.


The second recipe is for the entire family.  Again, I make a large batch and keep a jar of this pre-mixed and to spread on toast and add to oatmeal and hot drinks throughout the day.  Most morning we enjoy it with warm milk alongside breakfast as a preventative measure. 

Honey/Cinnamon Cold Remedy
  • 1 teaspoon Honey
  • ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
Directions
  •  Mix the honey and cinnamon together to eat or spread on toast...or mix into warm milk, tea, or chai.

No comments:

Post a Comment