Monday, September 16, 2013

Homemade Deodorant Recipe


I have tried just about every natural deodorant on the market in the last 20 years...all with disappointing results.  Six months ago I whipped up my first batch of homemade deodorant and have been thrilled with the results!  It even works on my husband.  Even through summer.

I'm not exagerating when I say I whipped it up...it takes minutes to make and uses ingredients you probably already have on hand:  coconut oil, baking soda and arrowroot powder (or cornstarch).  If you want to get fancy, you can add some essential oil (I prefer peppermint, but lavender and rosemary are nice too).  
Once you've mixed it together, you can either keep it in a jar and apply it with your hand or a cloth or you can refill traditional deodorant containers like you see in my photo above.  No matter how you apply it, you'll need to be sure it's either rubbed in completely or blotted prior to putting your shirt on to avoid staining.  Coconut oil stains are difficult to get out...the earlier they're treated, the better.  But the best is to avoid them altogether.

My other tip is to use caution when in a hot climate.  Coconut oil melts quickly so you may want to store it in the refrigerator during summer if you don't have air conditioning.  Also, I use a small jar when traveling to avoid getting coconut oil throughout my toiletry bag (I learned the hard way).  It solidifies again within a couple of hours of unpacking.

Without further ado, I present my homemade deodorant recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 6-8 Tbsp coconut oil (solid state)
  • 1/8-1/4 cup baking soda
  • 1/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch (the fine texture of arrowroot is preferred)
Directions:
  1. Combine your baking soda & arrowroot powder/cornstarch. Some people's skin can be sensitive to baking soda resulting in a rash.  If your pH level is affected, use less baking soda.
  2. Add coconut oil, working it in with a spoon or an immersion blender (pulsing, so as not to melt the coconut oil) until it maintains a firm but pliable texture similar to commercial deodorant.  If it is too hard, add more coconut oil.  If it is too wet, add more soda/powder. Once it's the correct texture, add it to your container of choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment