Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Handprint Beanie Turkeys


With only two days to spare, I finally executed a Thanksgiving craft with my kids (it's been a bit hectic over here).  And they turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself.

To create these little tom turkeys, I had my kids trace their hands on a piece of brown cardboard (not a thick corrugated cardboard, but one on the thinner side, like a cereal box...or, ahem, like the inserts in J.Crew shipping boxes...).  After they cut them out, we glued them onto their chosen color of construction paper using a glue stick so they'd remain flat.  I did press them in a book for about an hour as well to ensure their flatness, but I don't know that it was necessary. 

Next, using white glue, they glued on their googley eyes and kidney bean wattles, followed by the beans for the bodies and "feathers."  I thought that would be it, but Hazel wanted her turkey to be in grassy field, Martha found some yellow beans mixed in with the brown lentils that she thought would make a great beak and legs, and August thought his turkey should wear a hat.  I have to say, I agree. 

And there you have it, handprint beanie turkeys!  Gobble Gobble!

No comments:

Post a Comment