Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Pasta with Spicy Sun-Dried-Tomato Cream Sauce

I mentioned that my son gets to pick his birthday dinner and this year he's chosen Pasta with Spicy Sun-Dried-Tomato Cream Sauce...a recipe found in Bon Appétit back in 2000.

It's very easy, and super yummy! The recipe shown below is the original...and below that you'll find the changes* I've made to it to suit my family. Enjoy!

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 cup chopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 1 7.25-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
  • 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
  • 1 pound penne pasta
  • 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Directions
  1. Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add tomatoes, cream, red peppers and crushed red pepper; simmer over medium heat 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup basil and simmer 1 minute longer.
  2. Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup pasta cooking liquid. Return pasta to pot. Add sauce, cheese and 1/2 cup basil and toss to coat. Add enough reserved cooking liquid to pasta to moisten if dry. Season with salt and pepper.
* - The boys in my family are sensitive to texture so I puree the sun-dried tomatoes and red peppers in my food processor prior to adding (it comes out similar to a pesto). I also use Half & Half instead of cream. And in my experience, nearly the full 3/4 cup pasta liquid is necessary for a really creamy texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment